Monday, March 29, 2010

Tucson Camp!!!

I had a fantastic long weekend of training with amazing people and fabulous coaches out in Tucson, Arizona!! It's all one big blur right now but over the next few days I will sort out my stories and start blogging about all the great training we did.
Right now, I'm in a fog. I'm not entirely sure what day it is, what I should be doing with myself, or what time it is.
I miss my new Tri Camp friends and I'm thrilled to be home on one piece. Yesterday was travel day with a little swim thrown in to start. Here's how it went down.....
Alarm buzzed at 5:30 a.m. I hopped up, called home, ate some food, finisihed packing, stuff bike box and suitcase in car and was in the water by 7:00 a.m.
One more beautiful outdoor swim under the cloudless sky. The water was warm, the air cool, and my lane mates were inspiring. I was lucky to swim with super swimmer Cheryl Stine and rockstar Coach Jen Harrison. A huge highlight of my weekend was meeting Jen and her husband in person for the first time. Swimming with her was icing on the cake. More on that later...
I hopped out of the water and scrambled to dress and make myself travel-ready in 15 minutes. The taxi picked me up and off we went. About 10 minutes before we arrived at the airport I decided to get organized. I looked in my wallet to get the cab fare and flight info and that's when I saw it. The little window where I keep my license was empty. OMG! My ID. It was NOT there. I did my best not to panic and convince myself it had to be Somewhere. I knew I had taken it out of my wallet for dinner the night before..I had zipped it along with cash and a CC into a little pocket of a purse. I had the cash. Why not the ID?
I really needed to get home. I'd rent a car if I had to.
Once on the sidewalk I unzipped my bag, located the purse, and phew...there it was. Ok. Back in business.
The next few hours were typical travel stories....I was on the plane and flying by 11. My next flight was at 3:40. We were due to land at 3:00. We did land but then we rolled around for 20 min. Long story short... I had to RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!! The plane was almost fully boarded and they were about to close the doors when I came along. Thanks to Mary and Mel to stalled them!!!
Miraculously, my bike and suitcase also arrived in Boston despite the close call. My amazing parents picked my up there and chauffeured me to Portland. After that, one more hour north to home. There's nothing better than getting home to your family. I was wired at that point and was awake until at least 3 a.m. Today, I'm in a fog.
Next blog will start the stories off the great training I enjoyed out in the sunny southwest. One thing has happened....I can't wait to get back on my bike. I am not sure what caused this change but I'm going to go with the feeling and see what I can do. I love swimming and I love running. I can ride alright but I haven't really loved it yet. After climbing mountains all weekend I can't wait to see if I can attack these Maine hills with a little more finesse.


cheryl said...

Ange - it was great meeting you! I'm with you, can't wait to ride more. Have a great week, I bet you are so happy to see your boys!

Kim said...

welcome back! i cant wait to hear all about your trip (and see pictures)! yay!

Marni said...

glad you had fun!!! Can't wait to see pics!

Kurt P. said...

i see pics of WIndy point, El Charro cafe and Sabino Cyn in FB.

Ah, those were the good ole days of 1999-2000.

Mary IronMatron said...

I'm sad.... :( I miss it already! Agreed about the bike... weird, huh? xoxox

FFigawi said...

Glad you had such a great trip.