Sunday, February 10, 2008

Hello!

This is my first post. I just created this blog this afternoon. I can't wait to get it all set up and make it fun to view and read.
I'll tell you a little about myself. I'm a Mom. I'm a wife. I'm an Athlete. I have always been into sports. I joined our town's swim team at the age of 8 and never looked back. Swimming was the world to me. I swam in H.S. and College. I will never forget the feeling at the end of my very last event at the University of Delaware. It was the North Atlantic Conference Championships. The event was the 800 Free relay. I was first. My 200 split was the fastest I had ever done. 1:59. Our team was comprised of my very best girlfriends at UVM. We set the Varsity Record. And then it was done. That was it. Fourteen years of swimming. Done. While swimming didn't define who I was, it sure did make up a big part of my life. It was my drive. I loved practicing. I really loved racing and I loved the teams I had been part of and the friendships. Oh the friendships. There is a certain kind of person that gets up at 5:00 a.m. day after day after day, year after year after year and loves it. The bonds we had and still have for that matter, are indescribable. So, there I was. In Delaware, age 22, and my swimming life was over. I did feel a little lost.
For years after that I didn't really swim. I started running. I had also been a runner in H.S. but it wasn't at the same level as swimming. All through my 20s I ran. I completed my first marathon in 1994 and then Boston in 1995. I ran by myself. I ran and loved it but I didn't have the same feeling that I had when I was swimming on those teams. I missed hard-core racing.
I was married in 1998 and in 1999 my first son was born. Life changed again and it was wonderful. I stopped working as a Speech-Language Pathologist when my baby was 2 and my 2nd was on the way. By 1994 I had 3 little boys. Phew!!! Life was so busy and so so wonderful. I love every single part of being a Mom and that will be saved for another post. But....something was missing and I didn't even know it yet. I was missing that piece of life for me.
Mothers need to find something for themselves and not feel selfish. I have had to learn this and it has taken almost the whole 8 1/2 years that I've been a Mom to figure it out.
That leads me into my new love for Triathlon. I had actually done 2 before on a whim right out of college and grad school. But in 2006 I bought my first Road bike and dove in head first.
I LOVE this sport and now I'm hooked.
I will talk more about that next time.
For now, that is it.
That is a little look into who I am.

1 comment:

GetBackJoJo said...

I kinda got stopped at the 1:59 for a 200. Wow. That's inconceivable to me!
I liked your intro.
You're such an athletic goddess.
I also like your name.
I'm so happy that you are entering the blogging world!
Yipee!
I'm not better yet, but I'm getting there. Sat. was pretty bad.