Sunday, April 6, 2008

Cool day for Mom

I had such a fun 20 minutes this afternoon. That's all it took to make my day. You see, I took 2 of my kids out for run. One at a time. They loved it and so did I.

We planned it ahead of time. Mommy would finish her training and then Cameron (he's 8) and Tommy (he's 6) would each get a turn "going for a run with Mommy."

I rode for 90 minutes. It was a tough one. It was 10 min spin, 10 min as 10 sec. sprint 50 seconds Aerobic pace, and then a 10 minute ride at TS (test speed) with a lower cadence. I repeated this 3 times. From there I headed out for a pretty short transition run. I did 3 miles. It felt Awesome!! My legs just felt loose and fresh and ready to rock. My first mile was at decent pace but mile 2 was smokin'. ( for me) I came home after 3 miles (coach's orders) but wished I could do more.

Tommy was waiting in the driveway. He was psyched. He is such a happy enthusiastic boy. I just love his spirit and hope we can encourage him to always hold on to that. He's one of those people who was born smiling. I had to really instruct him not to Sprint from the get-go. He just smiled. I had to really let him understand that I was serious. We live on a hill. The plan was to run up the hill (1/2 mile to the top) and then around the block. That's one more mile. Ooops. I got ahead of myself on that one. About 2 minutes up the hill and Tommy was dragging. We made it to the top, still all smiles, and decided to turn around and do more next time. He had a blast.

Cameron was next. He was a little more controlled when we started but it didnt' take him much longer to tire. He was determined to go longer than his little brother and he did. He went all the way to his Grandparent's house and then we turned around. They both loved running down the hill. Cam was super impressed when I told him that I ran up that hill 10 times as fast as I could the other day.

I hope the kids all learn to love fitness like I do. I don't care if they run or swim or bike or golf. As long as they love to move and have fun doing it. Even though our runs were super short, they were fun little adventures for me to do alone with each boy. (Nick's not far behind.) I hope we can do that kind of thing more in the future.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Yah, for you mom! You are definitely teaching from the get-go how to love a healthy lifestyle.

Anonymous said...

How cool was that? I love running with my kids. I often forget how fun it us for all of us. I am glad you ejoyed your extra training!

The Lazy Triathlete said...

You are doing the right thing. Making their mom time special.

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome...your kids will remember these things forever, and be so glad they have such a great role model for a mom!!

GetBackJoJo said...

Oh, I can just picture Cam's determined little face as he powers up the hill, knowing he MUST go farther than little bro. So cute! That's a great idea and I'm going to try it!
xoxo

Rachel said...

That's so awesome that you are inspiring a healthy lifestyle in your kids.